Monday, March 26, 2012

My mother's corn lightbread recipe

My mother passed on to me her family's recipe for genuine middle Tennessee corn light bread.  Corn light bread is what it says, a light bread, rather than the heavier (but just as tasty) corn pone, Johnnycake, corn muffins, crackling bread, hush puppies, etc.  It's sweeter than most corn breads.

The ingredients are
2 cups cornmeal -- self rising or with 1 tsp. salt and 1 teaspn. soda
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon powdered yeast
2 cups buttermilke
2 or 3 Tbsps. melted shorning.

Mix. Pour into greased loaf pan and let rise.  Bake at 375 for 55-60 minutes.

 I have not encountered this form of cornbread outside of middle Tennessee, but I do not know if it originated there or not.  Try it for a little variety and for some genuine Tennessee flavor.

Enjoy!

2 comments: